Monday, November 19

"Please don't step in the blood."

This is how I greeted my 5th hour class today. There had been a fight during my 4th hour class and I was still waiting for someone to come and clean up the blood on the floor. It's so strange. They were fighting over nothing. I'm just glad that it was boys. Girls fighting is so much worse, because they really want to kill the other person.

I thought this was interesting today for various reasons.

1. I had my second formal assessment of the year during 1st hour. I thought it went poorly. But that was until 4th hour, when I learned just how badly a lesson can become.

2. My 2nd hour class complained to me that I am a bad teacher. They said they want someone better, with more experience. Sorry, kids, when I spend more time writing incident reports instead of lesson plans, you're not going to get the highest quality of education.

I'm definitely in a valley of my teaching career. I'm impressed with how many teachers have recently told me to "hang in there." I wonder if I look downtrodden. I'm feeling it, but I thought I was better at hiding it. Perhaps they all just know that November and December are tough times for teachers - new ones especially.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Hang in there! Maybe your boxing lessons will come in handy. You can reach the kids, through right crosses, left hooks, and the heavy bag.

Like Antonio Banderas teaching the kids to tango, but with boxing, and a Pennsylvania accent.

craziasian said...

at least it makes for a good blog post title

craziasian said...

that is really the most encouraging thing i could think to say. that and we will be visiting in less than 1 + month.