Thursday, December 1

Like college, but without the books

This will be my third straight night of drinking (with no end in sight).

Two days ago I went out with the new transfer to the Milwaukee office. We went to a small pub - the new guy, his girlfriend, the guy from church (whose girlfriend I met on Sunday), and Ann (whose parents' house I went to for Thanksgiving.) It wasn't the best night out ever but that was because everyone was meeting each other for the first time and there were a good number of introductory-type conversations. But it was a pleasant enough night that I did stay out until 12:30. This was also the same evening that Christie and I went to the Walt Whitman poetry reading. The best line from that event: "Whitman was not afraid of expressing his manly love."

Last night I went to dinner at one of those family-style Italian restaurants. Ann organized it but she was sick and didn't show up. That left four diners which was just barely enough to make the large meal worth it. The new girl at work came with me. She's new to Milwaukee. Her husband still lives in Chicago and she goes back there every weekend, so I don't get many chances to invite her out. We all ate a ton. And the bottle of wine was good too.

Tonight Jake comes home. He's been in Chicago all week. And last week he had been back East for the holiday. We were in the apartment at the same time for about an hour on Sunday, so we caught up a little. He's already called me as he's driving back. Maybe I'll have the Creepy Daves prepared for when he arrives.

Tomorrow is my office holiday party. This year I have reserved a room at the hotel so that I won't have to worry about driving home. Everyone has asked me if I plan to bring my flask again. The office manager wanted to know if my guest will be Jack or Jim.

No comments: