Tuesday, April 17

Donny at a Crossroads

Some day I may look back at this week and think, "Yes, that was when everything changed." It's not often that someone realizes he's in the middle of a turning point. It's difficult to recognize the change of the tide. There's too much movement of the waves to notice that the entire body has changed directions.

Of course, my actions this week have been quite deliberate. I'm not being swept away, but choosing my own path.

  • This morning I took the PRAXIS I exam. This is the first test needed to become a certified teacher. Last week, I submitted my application to MTEC, a program in the Milwaukee Public Schools, for people of other careers to become teachers. I am giving it a try, because my current career is not right for me. The money is great, but I want fulfillment. If things go as planned I will be teaching math in a high school classroom come September.
  • This weekend I led my church's committee in hiring our permanent pastor, who will start in July. My church is going through some rough times, but the pastor will bring an extensive skill-set. She will either turn us around from our struggling financial situation, or drain our savings and cause us to have to close our doors for good. As the chairman of the Staffing Committee, I am in the position to receive the praise or blame for how the appointment plays out.
  • I received a call from military this week, as they are doing a background check on Ray. They had many questions, and I managed to know many of the answers. How many of you can remember your dorm room numbers or even your addresses from 7 years ago? I have talked to Ray a few times on the phone now since he got out of basic training. He sounds happy. I hope he is.
  • On Saturday night, Christie, Trevor, and I went to a pre-developed housing development outside of the city to watch the stars. The neighborhood we visited only has paved roads and water hook-ups. The land is flat so that we are able to see the stars close to the horizon. We had a nice talk, and I appreciated my friends - even if they have strange senses of humor.
I have been watching the PBS documentaries America at a Crossroads. If you can catch an episode this week, I highly recommend it. The program is about post 9/11 America and the difficulties that we face. One episode I watched focused on Jihad and the people who join it. I don't think I learned anything new, but it was good to see everything told in a narrative and for the pieces to be placed together. Another episode I watched was called "Writing the Wartime." It took the writings of soldiers and made a documentary of it. There were poems, narratives, and essays. It was very moving.

1 comment:

craziasian said...

I can't wait until you see my new masthead. I haven't posted it yet (ok fine I haven't even made it yet) but oh boy are you going to love it.