Monday, April 23

Music Talk

While in Europe, Charley spent a good deal of time listening to his iPod. At one point he told me that he was listening to Mika, and he recommended that I should give him a try. I remembered this when I was in the music store the other day and noticed that Mika's album had recently come out. I bought it, never having heard a single song on the album.

Within the first few songs of the album, I realized that Life in Cartoon Motion would easily take the position of Gayest Album in my music collection. This, of course, upset those artists whose albums previously had held this position - namely Rufus Wainwright and the Scissor Sisters. While Rufus just had general feelings of hurt and confusion, the Sisters took a much more agressive approach when dealing with the interloper, Mika. I tried to capture their conversation, which includes comments from my other CDs, in the following lines:

Mika: Everybody's gonna love today! ...love me.

RW: (to Donny) [But] I'm only the one you love.

SS: I don't feel like dancin' no sir, no dancin' today.

RW: I don't know what I'm doing / I don't know what I'm saying...

Mika: [Maybe you're] Suckin' too hard on your lollipop. Love's gonna let you down.

SS: ...you're filthy / Oooh, and I'm gorgeous.

Ray Lamontagne, concerned that neither side was listening to the other foresaw problems.
Ray: Trouble. Oh, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble.

Corinne Bailey Rae, the other newcomer to the group threw her support behind Mika, and so did the soundtrack of Wicked.
Corinne: Girl, put your records on, tell me your favourite song.
Wicked: Popular. I'll help you be popular!

Some other albums were against Mika, however.
Thriller: They're out to get you, better leave while you can. Beat it. Just beat it.
Dixie Chicks: I'm not ready to make nice / I'm not ready to back down.

Poor Rufus pressured me to make a decision.
RW: I don't know what it is, But you got to do it...

Luckily though, someone stepped in and silenced everyone.
Black Eyed Peas: Shut up, just shut up, shut up. Shut up, just shut up, shut up.

And until someone stops me, I will continue to listen to any of my CDs as frequently as I wish.

2 comments:

craziasian said...

Are you ok? I think you're going a little nutso on us. :)

Anonymous said...

I feel like John hijacked Donny's blog and posted this.