Monday, August 27

Mister

Today, I put on my bravery pants and made the long trek to my future place of employment. I know that 13 miles is not too far, but from the point of view of someone who has walked or biked to work for the past 7 years, it's far. Of course, I could run the distance and that way I would have done a marathon every day.

I wore my bravery pants, because I decided that I would walk into the high school office, introduce myself, and hope to be shown around or at least be given some information. Well, the pants did the trick, because that's just what I did. I met my principal and a guidance counselor, who showed me my room. I was also told what classes I would be teaching. Geometry and Trigonometry/Algebra II.

Suddenly my career change has taken a big turn towards reality. I can visualize my classroom, and I need to decorate it in a way to make it mine. I can think about lesson plans and how I want the year to shape. I can make lesson plans for the first week.

The strangest part of today was being called by my last name. Everyone called me "Mister Last Name." And that's how they introduced themselves and addressed each other too. I wonder if I will ever learn the first names of the other staff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that you have "bravery pants". I have an "adventure hat" and an "extrovert sweater."