Saturday, December 20

Snow Day!

On Friday, school was canceled and my Christmas holiday began one day earlier than expected. Some of the younger teachers were planning on going out after school, but the snow storm threw off our plans. I was determined, and so was Erick, (who learned my first name this week so that we would not have the awkward situation of him calling me Mr. C. at the bar). Mario also came out with us - he's not a teacher, he just likes to drink beer.

When I was getting ready for the evening, I contemplated wearing dancing-friendly attire, but then figured that I would probably not end up dancing if I were hanging out with two dudes, especially if the three of us did not know each other very well. I was wrong. I was very wrong.

The night started at Nessun Dorma, where noone sleeps. I like Nessun Dorma; it's laid back, the staff is friendly, and the beer selection is extensive. Our bartender was cute and several times I caught her smiling at our conversations, on which she was eavesdropping.

We left ND at about midnight and worked our way to another Riverwest establishment, the Riverhorse ("hippopotamus" in Ancient Greek). I usually like the Riverhorse but on Friday night we stuck out like nerds at a punk bar. This was probably because we were nerds at a punk bar. So, I did what made sense and pulled out my new camera to take pictures. Actually I only took one picture. This picture:
I think it captures the mood of the night pretty well. We only lasted for one drink at the Riverhorse - definitely enough time for me to make two comments about translations of bar names in foreign languages.

I'm not sure who suggested Mad Planet, but it's always a good suggestion. MP is only open on weekends and every Friday is 80s Night. Mad Planet is the type of place where anything goes. It has all types of people and outfits range from bridesmaid's dresses to flannel (and flannel bridesmaid's dresses). So, my snowboots were just fine. I don't remember what songs were played (definitely no MJ, Madonna, nor JBJ) but I spent a good amount of time on the dance floor. I now realize that I do not have any bloggable stories from MP, which is too bad because the place has so much potential.

This was a great way to begin my holiday break. I hope it's just a preview of what's to come: good food, good drinks, good friends.

No comments: