Tuesday, December 5

A Neighborhood Tour




This past Saturday I walked around my neighborhood and took some pictures to show you, dear readers, what my home is like. Mostly they are pictures of the nearby statues, because I think they are funny, and sometimes poignant. Also note that the snow in the pictures is from our first big storm, which was on Friday.

This first picture is the Milwaukee Art Museum. The building is a work of art too. The "bird" is looking out over Lake Michigan, and the wings come down whenever the museum is closed or during bad weather.


There are four statues near my apartment. This first is Abe Lincoln, which isn't very out-of-the-ordinary. I would expect most major cities have a statue of Abe.

The next statue is of Solomon Juneau, one of the three founders of Milwaukee. I used to live on Juneau Street. I only know about Mr. Juneau because the Milwaukee Ale House brews beers named after the founders and I often read the coasters.
The third statue is Leif Erikson. This is the closest statue to my apartment, and I see it often. His metal breastplate reminds me of Madonna. I bet people used to tell him that all of the time.

The last statue is Robert Burns. This one confuses me the most. What is a statue of a Scottish poet doing in Milwaukee? And more importantly, who paid for this? How did Robert Burns beat out...well, I can't think of any famous Milwaukeeans except for Laverne, Shirley, and Golda Meir.Ok, one more statue. And this one is more temporary than the others, but just as inspiring.

No comments: