Monday, May 26

Memorial Day - Riverwest Style

I had a nice Memorial Day. It was quiet, but here are some highlights. Sunburn. Mosquito bites and yard work. A swim. A bike ride. Finished a great book - City of Thieves - read it! A water ski show. But then, you know how my day ended? A mayonnaise eating contest!

I simply wanted to buy some organic, locally grown spinach from my co-op. However, when I saw the contest being held outside, I had to stay and watch. The two guys split a jar of mayonnaise - actually it was Vegannaise, which I am not sure if that increases or decreases the gross factor of the contest. The guys were on their 28th spoonful when I arrived. They would only need 2 more each to finish the jar. It was strange to watch, but I felt that I had to stay because I really don't feel as if I'm a part of the neighborhood yet. I recognize people and they probably recognize me too. So, I took my first step today to get to know my neighbors. I cheered them on as they ate vegannaise by the spoonful.

Happy Memorial Day.

3 comments:

craziasian said...

vegannaise gross factor > mayo gross factor. by like 500.

was that what you were doing when i called you on sunday?

Donny said...

No, on Sunday I was at a cook-out at a neighbor's house with 4 dogs, a pregnant woman, and her crazy Mexican husband. It was like an episode of I Love Lucy.

Rowdehchickpea said...

I totally could have kicked ass in a regular mayo eating contest. Nayonnaise gives me the runs, however.