Monday, November 9

Sunday

I had a great Sunday. It began with a free bagel and ended with a free cookie.

The weather was great. Sunny and balmy temperatures. I had 10 pages left of a novel and I decided to get a bagel before church and eat it while finishing the book. The bagel shop was closed for renovations, but instead they set up a free bagel stand in front of the store. Great marketing. At least great for me.

I spent a good deal at time at church. I am leading the adult Sunday school class, which mostly means I read the discussion topic beforehand and plan which supplementary topics we want to cover. The service was comfortable so I don't remember much about it. Afterwards though we had the annual church meeting, aka the charge conference. Because I'm on the finance committee, I had helped prepare several of the reports that would be presented at the meeting. It was a good meeting because nothing of substance happened. All real decisions and work had been done the week prior. The conference is about making things official and communicating with the rest of the congregation.

My favorite part of my time at church though was the potluck dinner and washing the dishes. I enjoy cleaning up after large groups of people, especially when I have friends to keep me company. And that's exactly what happened on Sunday afternoon. Two of my buddies helped me in the kitchen, and we had two of the boys help us with the dishwasher. I really do mean that the boys helped us. I am still not sure how the giant dishwasher works, but the 11 year old does. He takes a lot of pride in this and it's good for him to know that he's valued. I believe this is what most people want - to know that they matter and have a role to play. We joked around a good deal and we got the job done. I don't know about the other guys but I had a good time getting that work done along side of them.

My afternoon was pleasant. I ran some errands. Grocery-shopped until I realized that I had left my wallet at home. A friend visited for 30 minutes because he was early for work. I did some work at the local coffee joint with Amanda. We were really good about concentrating on our work until Mario arrived. We didn't plan to meet him, but I suppose we're just lucky. Mario and I both managed to get 3 cups of tea out of each of our tea bags. We then had a contest to see who would need to use the bathroom first. I won. But then I'm not sure if understood how serious the contest was. Or if he even knew we were having the contest.

No comments: