Saturday, February 19

Lent & the Madonna

I have joined the Lenten bible study at my church. We meet once a week during these forty days before Easter. We follow a booklet that has the theme of living a modern, Christian life. I find it well-balanced between traditional bible stories and their applications to modern-day life. As I prepare for our class on Sunday, I found this week's reading particularly difficult to get through. I kept laughing at it. Here's an exerpt; I think you'll figure out what is being referenced:

"...Her [Madonna's] words refer again to life as mystery and how each person must stand alone. She sings of feeling at home at the sound of her name being called. As the bridge continues, the scene shifts back to the church, and Madonna and the choir sing and dance joyfully. While Madonna may or may not agree, it is as though she is singing about Jesus. His voice is like a prayer, like music. His voice is a mystery; it's like a dream, and he is not what he seems. Jesus' voice is like a prayer, and she has no choice when she hears it."

While I understand what the author is saying, (she spends a good deal of this week's lesson on the "Like a Prayer" video) I wonder how much of her meaning will be lost on my classmates. Most of them seem like they would be too old to be familiar with Madonna's early 90s' work. Perhaps I will be playing a pivotal role in tomorrow's class.

No comments: