Sunday, February 20

Like a prayer leads to chili

I was right. No one in my group understood the Madonna "Like a Prayer" analogy. Today's lesson was a bust. However, due to the unexpected snow that hit Milwaukee today, our group was down to less than half and we didn't even have the minister. The small group did allow us for more casual conversation and I learned a good deal about my church and the people that go there - their jobs, their histories, their motivations.

As we got ready to go, one of the women said that she was hosting a dinner party tonight for some other people in the congregation. Her friend (and congregant) was supposed to host a dinner party because her son and his boyfriend were in town from Germany for the week. But she was sick so she asked this woman at my meeting to host it instead. The new host suggested that since I would know some people there, I should come too. I politely declined because I assumed she was just being nice, since everyone else from our class was going to her chili party. But then she pressed the issue. She pointed out that the party guests were bringing their children who were all about my age and, being new to Milwaukee, I should take this chance to meet some peers. So, I accepted. It felt a little strange going to a party like this but then, at the time, I saw it as an adventure. Even if I didn't make a new friend, I would learn about the people who run my church - and it's always good to know church politics.

I don't have any good anecdotes from the evening, but I did enjoy talking with people around the table. They were well-educated - most of them lawyers - and those that weren't were well-aware of the community around them. We talked about movies, German law, education, making one's own yogurt - you know, typical polite conversation. Unfortunately, I didn't make any connections that I picture lasting, but it was a pleasant way to spend the evening. I wonder if I looked like some poor, pitiful kid who doesn't know anyone from town. Eh, so be it.

I never made an entry about my two-day training in Chicago last week. During the day I learned about valuation fundamentals (with a 15-minute overview of pension reform proposals), but at night - that was when memories were made. Some highlights: staying on the 32nd floor of the posh, lakefront W Hotel and wondering if I would be fired for requesting such a hotel (the bill was actually only $165, not much demand on a Wednesday in February), a $300 sushi bill, getting free beer from ugly Budweiser girls, trying not to dance with the old ladies at the dueling piano bar, kissing Brianne because she placed herself between me and said old ladies, requesting everything from Snoop Dogg to Garth Brooks to Styx to TLC (I paid $5 for "Waterfalls" - the Budweiser girls were very good to us.), seeing actuaries dance, witnessing a bar fight, being driven (kicked) out of bar for said fight, requesting a wake-up call for 7 am at 3 am. It was a successful training. I hope they send us to do it again soon.

I mentioned actuaries dancing. This is now on my top 5 funniest things list. It brings me as much joy as Raymond doing his "dying giraffe" impression. I can't explain it. It must be witnessed to be appreciated.

1 comment:

Tom said...

ok, now, I don't want to say that I didn't find your church story interesting...but well, it was so less interesting than Chicago training. I'd like to request more stories about bar fights and old ladies and dueling (pianos or whatever). training sounds like a real good time.

-Tom