Sunday, April 2

When in Milwaukee...

"I did the Polka at Art's Concertina Bar" reads the sign I received last night at said Concertina Bar. Art claims that his is "the only Concertina Bar in the U.S.A." I find this difficult to believe given the crowd at Art's. Doesn't every American city have a mature (read: geriatric) Polish subculture that needs to polka? That needs to drink beer from 8 ounce glasses? That needs to sing along with such classics as "Who stole the kieshka?" or "She's too fat for me"?

Art also gave us a copy of the band schedule for April, which includes concertina artists all the way from Shawano and Stevens Point, Wisconsin. As much as Mick, Christie, and I made fun of the little bar with a lot of spirit, I think we may go back. It reminded me so much of the bars back in Scranton, especially the ones that my Grampa goes to. The music was good and the people were friendly, well, the ones that were awake. I think we're planning to go to the Polka lessons that are offered every Wednesday evening. We'll make a night of it. Art advertises that he's open until 3 a.m. even though I would guess that the majority of his patrons last night were home in time to see the weather report on the 10 o'clock news.

On Friday night, I went out for Fish Fry. Fish Fry Fridays are big in Milwaukee, and not just during Lent. Every restuartant has fish specials on Fridays here. Even the Greek counter down the street has one. They come in all types, from the huge beer halls to the trendy little night clubs. I went to one of the trendy ones. I was not dissappointed.

Tomorrow I am not going to work. It's Opening Day and I'm taking a vacation day. Opening Day is big in Milwaukee. It's one of the few days that Miller Park sells out. So much of a Brewers game is unique to Milwaukee. I know that baseball (and all sports) is usually related to beer. But I think that relationship is a little stonger at Miller Park when one is watching the Brewers. Tailgating is such a central part to the game. We watch giant sausages race around the infield. We do a polka during the seventh inning stretch. And this year, there's some extra excitement about the Brewers. They're young and talented. We're going to the play-offs. Hope springs eternal.

No comments: