Sunday, September 14

Rainy Sunday

I am always surprised by how a worship service can improve my feelings. My church is pretty cool, but in an awkward kind of way. The people are strange, but they do not care. They keep pushing forward, going about their business with no shame, doing the best they can with what they have.

I arrived at church feeling pretty down. As I said in my earlier post, I was hit with loneliness after my party and it lingered to the morning. But then as I talked to the other congregants or heard their stories, I began to feel better. And it is not because I realized how much "easier" my life is, or because I compared my troubles to theirs. But instead, I felt better because I realized that we are all struggling with something. I am not the only one. During the prayers of the people, the woman next to me lifted up a prayer of thanksgiving for the months that she has been sober. The elderly woman in front of me shared her concerns for her husband and his failing health. Darlington talked about improved political changes in Zimbabwe, his home country. I was reminded that we are doing the best we can with what we have. And for many of us, what we have is each other.
The service is very casual. Although we have an order of service, there are often mistakes, and the congregation is sometimes unaware of what they "should" be doing. You may be thinking that my complaining about sitting vs. standing or reading the wrong scripture is petty, but errors detract from a well-planned service. They distract us from the important parts because we think about procedures.

No comments: