Tuesday, September 2

First Day, Second Year

I had a pretty good first day of school today. As long as the guidance department does not mess with my classes, I think I could really enjoy the students that are currently there. Although they may be crass, many seem to be serious students. Of course, "serious" in the context of my school.

The freshmen were particularly interesting today. I have the freshmen (all 15 of them) who are on track for AP calculus in their senior year. They asked such good questions and they sounded somewhat scared. Of course, one boy told us that the best part of his summer vacation was the restraining order that was finally enacted on his father. No training will ever prepare teachers for the things that students will say.

I had several students make remarks on my reputation. "Are you really as mean as they say?" "But I hear that you never get mad?" "Your classes are hard, right?" I like my reputation. Maybe it has a tinge of respect. I hope it has bought me some street cred.

No comments: