Wednesday, January 26

Eat your heart out, Bonnie Blair

Today the people in my office went ice skating. There is a skating rink across the street from my office building and we often watch the skaters from our conference room (during our meetings). A few weeks ago my co-worker, Eric, agreed to go skating with me some day. He didn't expect me to actually call him on this agreement. So, last week, we emailed the entire office (about 30 people) and told them our plans. We knew that today we were having an all-staff meeting, so everyone would be in the office.

As two o'clock came around, it seemed that everyone was in the middle of projects. I thought our skating day would fail (again, the last time they were closed). However, I walked around the office asking people to come with us and, surprisingly, a good deal of people did. And I don't mean just the younger associates, but some of the consultants too! These are people who could fire me and I had the opportunity to watch them slowly shimmy across the ice. The highlight, however, was Eric's ice skating/dance interpretation of Madonna's Borderline. The music selection left much to be desired, like some classic rock!

One woman (a consultant) that came with us - I talked to her more today than I have in the last six months. She was thrilled that I had come to her office to ask her personally. She had brought her skates to work, and extra socks, but she wouldn't have come with us if I hadn't gone to her specifically. I don't understand people like that. She clearly wanted to come with us, but she needed the special encouragement. I suppose this is just to reinforce the idea that I shouldn't prejudge people. And that even the most senior people in my office want to feel the acceptance of some type of community.

In other news: I stole office supplies from work today for my quasi-Christian discussion group.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I am going to try to use "shimmy" more often in my conversations.
-T