Monday, January 31

The more things change,

The more they stay the same.

It is Monday morning. I should be at work but I took the day off; I'm in Boston. I sit at the computer, while Ray sleeps away the morning. We stayed up late watching Simpsons episodes, which of course were obtained with less than legal methods. We might as well be freshmen again.

This weekend back has been fantastic. I miss the college life, but as Jackie said, she wouldn't want to be back now, she wants to be 18 again and live college over. Last night best exemplifies how I picture my college experience. My motley crew of friends, who probably would not have acknowledged each other on the street if they had not been forced to share a bathroom for a year, met in the Downtown Crossings station, to take the Orange Line as far west as it would go - to Beth and Jackie's house. Conversation on the T ranged covered topics such as French, quail eggs, the "capita per income" of NJ, shoe-shopping, ancient Greek drama and probably a dozen other irrelevant ideas. Jackie picked us up at the station and the 6 of us fit in her Echo. Kat got to sit on the parking brake. At the apartment we broke out the cheese curds and wine. This time I brought the curds. We made some pleasant conversation for about 10 minutes and then we got down to business - trivial pursuit.

With nine people we made three random teams. Felecia was excited to be placed with me and the Queen of Crap. Team New Jersey (and Tom) included Chad and Kat and Tom. Steve, Ray, and Beth were the last team, probably the most well-rounded team, simply because they all seem to have such different interests. Felecia got the hockey question correct, which spared us from a future slew of sports-related questions. Many of the questions seemed to be swayed to the Midwest and Wisconsin, but alas, they didn't help Beth or me. Team NJ (and Tom) won. It was a long game and we had a long train ride for a "school night" so we crammed into the clown car and made our way back downtown.

Everyone else had class or work today except for me. I went to visit Cory to see what type of place he's living in and whether his roommates are better than I was as a roommate. haha. Actually it was just good to put faces to the names of the people he's always talking about. A long walk home (or to Ray's apartment) gave me plenty of time to think about what I'm missing, what I can change, what I can't, and what I want to accomplish in the next couple of years.

No comments: