Thursday, January 27

what year is it?

For the past few days I have been working on a valuation report for one of our larger clients at work. This client has 11 welfare plans for their workers, and many of the plans have parts such as medical, vision, and dental. The client uses a couple of different dates for measuring their assets and liabilities. Compiling all of this information into a report is complicated, especially for a new hire. I had to ask a lot of questions and I had to send the document back to typing three times before I was ready to send it along to the next person in line so that he could check my work. It's really not that big of a deal, but it was cool to finish a project that will be used as a reference for the next few years.

Today, Mike, the guy checking the report, came to talk to me. He told me that I used the data from the wrong year. He thought it was funny. I thought it was funny. But not really. I was proud of the work I had done. I suppose laughing at my mistake is probably the best result that could come out of it. And it wasn't a complete waste of time. I used the 2004 data for the 2005 report. Mike explained that this client is so far behind its due dates that we are only now working on the 2003 data for the 2004 report. So, actually I was just very far ahead of schedule. We'll save the work I did, but chances are that this (stupid) client will change something and the data will be useless anyway. Also, doing the report the second time went by much faster since I was familar with the template and where to find the data.

No comments: