Tuesday, May 23

It's Raining Men

I did not think that this was an appropriate song to play at Aunt Ludy and Uncle Harry's 60th Wedding Anniversary Party. However, the DJ disagreed. And apparently so did Aunt Ludy and the rest of her family and friends.

The party was a blast. We drank Manhattans (East Coast style) and white wine, a la the party's honorees. And the dancing soon followed the drinking. We did the Macarena, the Chicken Dance, the Conga, and the Hokey Pokey. Many of us were disappointed that the polka was not represented sufficiently, but that wasn't really noticed until the following day.

Aunt Ludy was worried that the DJ would not have a certain Rod Stewart song that she and Uncle Harry had practiced dancing to. The family took bets on what classic Rod Stewart song we'd be forced to listen to. Mom took the long shot of "Hot Legs" and thankfully she lost.

Some highlights of the party included:
-Second cousin Jeff's very open discussion of his pending divorce.
-The DJ's dancing on the table.
-Possible incest when cousin Stacy told second-cousin Andrew he's hot and then they left the party together. (I told her, "If Eleanor Roosevelt can do it, so can you.")
-The gay neighbors really letting loose on the dance floor, and only being shown up by...
-The octogenarians dancing.

This party was certainly worth the trip back home this weekend. I say this not because of how good of a party it was, but because it taught me about my family. I've never seen us in a party atmosphere like this. Our family is quite static. I've never been to a family wedding (nor a funeral) and I didn't know what to expect. Will these gatherings be silly, too serious, sappy? Fortunately, it was a good balance. The speeches were short and heartfelt. Jokes were told and family stories were told. We ate and drank well. And we danced until they kicked us out.


-Pos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mr anon: You know, I grew up thinking everyone sung "Roll Out the Barrel" at all football games."
me: What's that?
mr. anon: it's a polka song.
me: oh my god you are so midwestern.

Donny said...

One of my coworkers thought the same thing about baseball games until he spent a summer in St. Louis. I recently went to a hockey game with my boss who was impressed that I knew the words to "In Heaven there is No Beer" another classic.