Tuesday, August 23

Potpourri

I had volunteered to work at Vacation Bible School this week. I went on Monday and Tuesday nights, but unfortunately no kids came. So, I went home early each night and I don't plan on going back. There were some kids, but they were older and I had been assigned to elementary school children. I'm not really upset over this. I had other plans.

For example, last night I went drinking.

Some coworkers had a happy hour yesterday and I had to miss it for church! What a dilemma, but God won. Fortunately when VBS was done early, I managed to catch up with the others and had a few beers.

Tonight, I had my classics book club. We discussed Alice in Wonderland and our next book is Lolita. We have a theme of old men and little girls going on. I'm kidding; it's just a strange coincidence. I brought two new people, Rebecca and Sarah, to the meeting. (We left Isaac and Abe at home.) This is in addition to Ann, whom I had brought when we were reading Middlemarch. Slowly I'm taking over this club.

I bought some ear drops finally. Having them in my ear for a half hour was a good excuse to watch The West Wing. I didn't see any improvement last night, however, all day long I could tell that things were shaking up in my head. And then, as I was driving home from my book club, BAM! I could hear. It is wonderful.

My boss sent out an e-mail this week about the dress policy. He stressed that we are not allowed to wear halter tops. What's sad is that this was needed to be said for one of the consultants. She looked good, but it really wasn't appropriate for the office.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donny I really want to join a book club in Philly but I'm scared. I'm afraid we'll read really stupid books and I'll be like, "this was the stupidest book" and everyone will think I'm some english snob. which i am. but i don't want people THINKING that. what do you advise?

Tom said...

go ahead, be a snob. like they said on the west wing, if they think you're arrogant no matter what, might as well knock some bodies down with it.

Donny said...

I found my book club at the locally owned bookstore. Our purpose is to read books that are "well-known, if not necessarily well-read". Emphasize that you want to read classics and that you don't want an Oprah club. I can't believe what books have the Oprah stamp on them these days. It's deterring the snob in me from reading.