Tuesday, November 8

After my exam, I went shopping for a GameBoy. Why are there so many people in the mall on a Tuesday afternoon? And why were there children there? I almost asked two kids why they weren't at school.

I walked into the electronics store.

Nerdy Electronics Store Clerk (but probably the manager): Can I help you?

Me: Yes, I'm looking for a GameBoy. Do you also have used ones?

NESC: Yes, we do, but I'd honestly suggest you buy the new one. It has great new features. It comes in graphite or blah, blah, blah.

Me: (What's graphite? I know its chemical symbol is C, but that's also coal and diamonds and they are black and clear. I wonder what graphite is.)

NESC: blah, blah, blah...and that's why you should get the blah, blah, blah.

Me: Ok, if I have games from my old grey brick GameBoy, can I still use it on this player?

NESC: Yes, other features include...blah, blah, blah.


Later, at the register:

NESC: Can I interest you in-

Me: I will probably not come into your store again in the next year? (When I worked in the bookstore, this is how I tried selling the frequent buyer card - I first asked if they shopped with us enough to warrant a card.)

NESC: This magazine is great because it has an unbiased view of various gaming systems, even Nintendo. As I can see from your purchase, you have great taste in games.

Me: (I'm buying Pokemon and Super Mario 3. My tastes suck.)

NESC: Also, this magazine will make sure you never miss anything important.

Me: (Like the ratification of the Iraqi constitution?) I really don't think I would appreciate your magazine, but thank you.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Which gameboy did you get? the DS? the new micro? an old school one? gameboy color? gameboy mini? personally I prefer the old school orginal dotmatrix grey gameboy. all the new ones are too small for my giant hands anyway.

Anonymous said...

tom would have gotten the magazine. what am i saying, tom already is a subscriber and avid reader of the magazine.

Tom said...

actually, adina, no. those magazine is for losers. I am not a loser. the magazines give tips, and hints, and clever bits of trivia about the games to the readers. true gamers find the hints and tricks and secrets on their own. I am a true gamer. I'm not some poser who needs to subscribe and read a magazine that just puts the secrets out there for the reading, no. I find secrets on my own, and then keep them a secret to give myself an advantage over whichever opponent I'm playing against. also, those magazines never do a swimsuit issue, which is why sports illustrated is the only subscription I hold. -t

Anonymous said...

there were way too many words in that comment for me to seriously consider reading it.

come on now tom. you know me better than that.