Tuesday, November 15

"Hi, I'm under 50 too."

I made a new friend!

And I met him at church. And he's not a weirdo (at least as far as I can tell, yet).

A few weeks ago I noticed another young guy at church. I figured it was someone's son, so I didn't say anything. But then on Sundaywe passed each other and said, "hi," and started to talk. It's sort of funny because I kept imagining that's how dogs see the world. There could be tons of other people around but a dog only really notices other dogs. I automatically noticed the other person in the sanctuary who was younger than 50.

After the service there was a lunch and we sat with each other - as well as the old ladies. There are some other people in our congregation who are in their 20s, but they are all chemistry doctoral students from Africa. They stick together and after discussing organic versus inorganic, I'm tapped for conversations.

John and I sat and had a pleasant conversation about college and moving around for jobs. I'm calling him "John" because it turns out that he works for a local news station and is a regular reporter. I had to admit to him that without a TV I wasn't even sure what the local stations are, let alone who he is. As we left church we exchanged phone numbers and decided to go out for coffee on Tuesday night.

Today we set up a meeting place and time. We met for coffee (but I drank juice). I didn't know how to ask him if he drank alcohol. Eventually though our conversation went to what we do for fun and it became apparant that we both frequent the local bars. So, we decided to go across the street for a drink. It was nice and I enjoyed talking with him. We don't have much in common when it comes to interests. He didn't even know there was Johnny Cash movie released this week! But it turns out that John knows a good deal about his pension plan and I know more than I thought I did about broadcasting.

John plans to celebrate Dan Goldin Day with Tom and me on Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to make friends now that we're out of college. I've been toying with the idea of going to church at the lovely church around the corner from my apartment for some time now (like, since I mvoed in, so you can really tell how committed I am to the consideration). When I was at the annual church bazaar last month, one of the old ladies selling me a black suit coat (read: KT's halloween costume) said "Oh, you should join the youth church group! There are....er, lots of handsome tall young men! Yes, lots of handsome tall young men!" I easily envisioned her telling a fat dude that there were lots of cookies or a teenage girl that there were lots of backstreet boy parties. Anyway, I've always been intrigued by this church that seems to always have such a diverse group of um, church-going people (parishioners? followers? attendees? groupies?). Elderly white women with pearls, Spanish-speaking mexicans with children hanging off of them, elderly white women without pearls, young people hanging around in the evening (none that I noticed to be particularly tall or handsome, but I won't call the old lady a liar). Your story has inspired me to give more consideration to showing up to the 7:30pm Sunday mass when, as the old lady told me, is when all the tall handsome young men go to mass. It can't hurt, right? Am I wrong for using the church to make friends, as opposed to making peace or communion with the lord? I mean, I might pick some stuff up on the side, but really nothing more than I suspect I pulled out of four years in catholic schooling. My primary concern is having people to grab coffee/beers with on a Tuesday night. Am I going to be struck with lightening? I just want friends like Donny and John, here in DC :)

Donny said...

Now that I think about it, most of the friends (that I actually like) in Milwaukee, I met through Church. Christie is from my home church in Moscow. I knew Jake's brother through the BU chapel. Ann and Sarah I met through Ann's spiritual discussion group.

But remember, KT, there are a good number of weirdos out there. I've been going to my church for a year before I met John. If you go with the purpose of meeting a friend, you're probably going to get frustrated before you actually do. I go with the purpose of having a community - and I try to stay open to age and background. That way I don't get disappointed.

Tom said...

first of all, KT, it's struck "by" lightning, not "with." second of all you are not wrong for using church to make friends, you are wrong for considering waking up before 10 AM on the weekend. 7:30AM is obscenely early, and if God were just he would not schedule a service for young adults before noon on sunday.

happy hunting,
-t