Tuesday, May 17

Alaska and(or) bust II

In a previous post I wondered about some choices that I have to make very soon: whether I should purchase a condo and whether I should take a rafting trip in Alaska this summer. I appreciate the advice I received through your comments; it was a big help.

However, I have some extra information that has greatly influenced my decisions.

First, on the condo: my next actuarial exam is next week. The topic is interest theory. I finally analyzed the condo issue from an in-depth financial perspective, and I could save much more money by continuing to rent. Buying a condo would mean some mondo-interest payments and very little equity growth for the first couple of years. Sure, interest rates are likely to climb, but during that time I'll be saving more money for a down payment that will ultimately bring down the interest costs. Also, if interest rates go up I anticipate real estate to drop a little to compensate for that.

As for Alaska: I've asked my dad if he wants to go with me. He hasn't responded yet. I sent him the website after talking on the phone. Perhaps he can't get the link to work. However, after talking to my "exam coach" at work today I've realized that some exams will be given during the week of the pending trip to Alaska. Putting off these exams aren't such a crisis as they are supplemental and I could take them later in the year. However, this does add another fold to the complicated decision to be made.

2 comments:

Tom said...

do it. go to alaska. you can always take an exam, you can't always go to alaska. and remember to bring lots of jerky to feed to polar bears so they won't eat you. they like jerky better than people meat anyday.

me too, for that matter.

-tom

Anonymous said...

I wish I understood money. I should take a class.

Anyway, I hope you get to go to Alaska!