Wednesday, May 25

Favorite Supreme Court Quotation

A couple of weeks ago, NPR had a recording of some Supreme Court "discussions" (for lack of a better word). Lawyers were presenting their cases regarding the display of the 10 Commandments in County Courthouses. Both arguments sounded ridiculous, and you could hear the contempt and disbelief in the justices' voices whenever they asked a question of the lawyers. My favorite quotation from this recording came after a lawyer's statement in favor of displaying the 10 Commandments. He argued along the lines that the Commandments are practically secular in nature with little mention of "God." Mostly they deal with honoring parents and refraining from lying.

Then Justice O'Connor pipes in: "Have you read the 10 Commandments?" I almost peed my pants. Of course, the statement isn't so funny, but more how she said it and the timing of it. Based on what some of the other Justices said you could tell that most of them agreed with her sarcastic question. I am not sure why I was moved to write about this tonight, except for the fact that I was thinking about it, and I laughed to myself again. Actually I laughed out loud. I live alone so I can get away with that.

No comments: