Thursday, May 12

Alaska and(or) bust

A few years ago I went rafting through the Grand Canyon - fantastic trip. Now I see that the outfitters of that trip are organizing a trip to Alaska. This one is for 11 days and originally it was about $3000, but due to a recent cancellation they have reduced the cost to $1800. It's a steal. It would be worth it if it were still $3000.

However, there are a couple of other factors.

1. The trip would require me to take 2 weeks of vacation. Not a problem except it would limit my vacationing for the rest of the year. But who cares - I would have 11 days of great vacation.

2. This would be the same time that my family would be all together in PA at my aunt and uncle's cottage on the lake. That's always a lot of fun.

3. The cost would also increase due to flights and I would probably stay an extra day or two in the small Alaskan towns. This cost would eat some of my downpayment on a possible condo purchase. But maybe I'm too young to own property anyway. But interest rates are wicked low and there's a condo right next door available for purchase.

The ultimate question boils down to what should I put off - Buying a home, which is more of a financial thing than a homey thing - or Experiencing an amazing part of America?

If you have comment, please share. I don't have many close friends here in Milwaukee whom I trust with these life questions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think you will regret,not spending time with the family, not going on an amazing trip to Alaska, or not building some financial security and buying property? Don't know you but think not matter what you choose, there will be a small bit of regret at not doing the other. Follow your heart, that's usually the best path to happiness.

Tom said...

are you saying you trust your friends who aren't in milwaukee with these types of decisions? because man I don't think you meant me when you said that. my recommendation would almost inevitably be "buy an xbox and lots of games"

but what it really comes down to is this...the interest rates and great condo won't be there forever, so you should take advantage of that now, but, alaska, the way Bush is pushing for drilling won't be there forever either...so really I guess this is no help.

love,
tom

ps. go brewers.

Anonymous said...

you asked for advice so i am going to give it to you. i would not skip alaska only because of your family being at the lake. you could always see them another time or next year. consider how long it would actually take to remake the money you spend going to alaska - will it cause you to have to wait SIGNIFICANTLY longer to be able to buy a condo or will it really limit condo options? (i don't know your financial specifics so I don't know what a few thousand dollars actually means to you.) finally, flip a coin. then pay attention to your gut feeling when you see what the coin tells you. if you get that immediate sinking gut feeling, then you know to go with the opposite choice.

Anonymous said...

and just to add..the language of your post makes it seem like you really want to go to alaska the most.

Anonymous said...

do you really want a condo in milwaukee anyway? you loved that rafting trip. lifetime memories. A condo won't give you a lifetime of memories. It will give you a place to eat sleep and be merry (something you can do in your apt until you re-acquire condo capital). go to alaska. bring back salmon.

Anonymous said...

I was going to write in some great advice like everyone else did, but really I have no idea. I have no idea what I myself am doing now, so I don't really feel qualified to tell you what to do. But maybe the way to think about it is this: What is going to be important about your life five or ten years from now?

I would make a list.
in favor of Alaska: 1. how many times is an opportunity like this that you can take advantage of come around, anyway? 2. what better way to use your vacation days, really.
in favor of a condo: 1. even if you end up moving in a couple years (given a few years have gone by), you can sell the place and make a killing. 2. if you wait too long, the market may go so crazy that someone else ends up making a killing off you in a couple years when you do buy that condo that you could've bought now and be selling to them.
in favor of your family: 1. c'mon, they're your family. 2. you could also visit us on your way back east :-)

I like what that guy said about follow your heart. fuck logic.