Sunday, July 31

80s Night

I went to 80s night at a local bar on Friday with a coworker, Rebecca. She and her husband and their friends all remember the 80s. I was born then.

Rebecca introduced me to a friend of hers (Chris or Dave, but it doesn't matter, for the story, I'll call him, Chris). We went through the awkward introductory questions. I tried to make myself sound older; he is 35. But he is short, so I felt older. When I told him I'm originally from rural Pennsylvania, he said, "Oh, so you had a farm?"
"No."
"But you had a lot of farms around your house?"
"No. We had woods. You could hunt there if you want. But I lived in a neighborhood. We actually had sewers installed when I was in high school." I said this to be funny (even though it's true), but he took it seriously.
"So, is your family really religious then?"
What the hell? Where did that come from? And who asks that within the first five questions of meeting someone? And it's entirely too subjective. I don't think I'm very religious, but some people might. And on the other hand, most zealots would caterogize me in the "heathen" column. But it's none of your (Chris's) business anyway. So, for a strange question, I gave a strange answer:
"We're a blue state."
This ended the conversation. Well, it brought on some awkward silence and then one of us walked away. But later I found out that he's fron Osh Kosh. Osh Kosh! Who are you to be judging rural PA? You're from Osh Kosh.


They did not play "Livin' on a Prayer" or "Like a Prayer".

2 comments:

Laura said...

Donny-
I've been stalking you through your website for many months now. I tried emailing you once, but maybe your BU address doesn't work anymore.

I decided to say something because of your references to two 80's songs that my friends and I absolutely sing every time we got to karaoke over here. "Livin' on a Prayer" is our official Last Song of the Night.

Anyway, glad to know things are well with you. You can stalk me too at my website, or send me an email (available on my blogger page). Hope to hear from you sometime!
-Laura (the one in Japan)

Anonymous said...

oh my god donny you have a stalker.