Sunday, July 31

Library Story

I'm going to combine two events that happened to me this weekend because it makes the story much better. The sum is more than the pieces.

I went to the library. I had two goals - read my Actuarial Mathematics book for at least 3 hours and to read the rental copy of Half-Blood Prince so that I won't have to buy a copy nor pay the $1 to rent it for the week. The library that had a copy of Prince is about 12 blocks away. It's a great distance to ride my bike - too far to walk comfortably with my text book but too close to rationalize using my car. So, I took my bike: I fought traffic, I used hand signals, I rode uphill in the blazing sun without sunglasses. I arrived at the library in about 15 minutes (I hit a number of red lights.) but when I went to lock my bike to the rack I realized that I had forgotten the key to my bike lock. Curses! I stood and stared at the rack for 5 minutes willing the key to appear even though I could picture it on my shelf at home. When I finally accepted the fact that "apparating" is impossible, I got back on my bike and rode home. Somehow, I rode uphill again, though this time the sun was behind me.

I arrived at home a sweaty mess. I decided that this time I would walk to the library. My biking enthusiasm was quashed and I didn't like the idea of dripping perspiration on my textbook. I dropped my helmet, lock, and tire pump on my table, laced up my sneakers, and set out on my return trip to the library. Thirty minutes later I arrived at the library. I walked past the bike rack to the front door. But it was locked. The Milwaukee Public Library is closed on Sundays in the summer.

No comments: