Sunday, July 31

A Dash of Mortality

In a recent conversation with my mom she told me that she quit her job. This isn't too big of a deal. She worked at the front desk of a local supermarket. She did it more to get out of the house than for the money. Actually I think it cost our family more to have her work 20 hours each week than if she were at home. She had gone back to work when I went into high school so it's not as if she's not going to know what to do with her time either. I have a feeling that her yard is going to finally get some long-needed attention. She says she quit because she was tired of dealing with the management; there had been some changes in the last two years. And also, her peers that she counted as friends had already quit as well.

What bothers me about this though, is that when she told me she quit and I asked her what she's going to do now, she said, "I guess I'll retire." She then laughed so I didn't take her seriously. But still for a brief moment I was reminded that my parents are not going to remain the same forever. I've been so caught up in the changes that I've gone through in the last 10 years, I forgot that the rest of my family is living their lives as well.

My family is still pretty much the same as they were a decade ago, except everyone is older. The youngest member is about 11 years old, though we still call her "the baby." All four of my grandparents are alive and so are my great aunt and uncle. They don't drive as much as they used to, and they don't golf anymore, and they talk more often about their doctors than their grandchildren. But in a lot of ways, they're still the same. Grampa Dicko (seriously, that's what we call him) still goes to the VFW for a beer directly after church. Dad's mom still looks like she could spit fire whenever Hilary Clinton is brought up in conversation. And Uncle Harry still sends every dish back to the kitchen when we eat out. They still tell the same stories and laugh at the same jokes.

So, I was taught a little lesson during my conversation with Mom. Things will change. And I can't do anything to stop them. But my money's on the fact that I'm going to be taught that lesson again. And then probably a few more times.

No comments: