Thursday, October 6

Moscow Update

Today was my first full day back home in Moscow, PA. It is my sister, Kelly's, 22nd birthday.

I woke up at 8 to go for a walk around the neighborhood with my mom, like we used to do when I was in middle school - before I had a job or a driver's license to get away from the house. We talked about life as a 20-something. It was an actual conversation. She listened to what I had to say and I didn't tune out some of her stories. It was nice.

Back at home we watched a little Regis and Kathie Lee (with Kelly Ripa). We watched a little Ellen and then the painter guy, Paul, showed up. Paul is painting most of the house because my parents are buying a new refridgerator. It's a long story; let me elaborate. Dad wants a new fridge because he cooks now. When I lived with Dad, he used to have me make him sandwiches because he didn't know where the mayonaise was. Dad wants a new fridge - one that he won't have to bend down to the vegetable drawer. This higher-vegetable model is 33 inches wide - 3 inches wider than the allotted space. So, they need to move the kitchen cabinets. If one moves the cabinets though, new wallpaper will be needed because the wallpaper is very dirty, especially near the stove where Dad has learned that pots need lids or they spatter. Well, as long as the wallpaper is changing let's put in new floor covering. Lose the linoleum, bring in the hardwood. And while you're at it, put hardwood floors in the living room too. Rip up the carpet. And then, this is where the logic loses me, paint the whole house too. At the bar tonight, Kelly added to this story and told me that my parents also plan to get a plasma TV for above the fireplace.

My mom asked me today if an iPod is something to sleep in.

I studied this morning while Paul whistled about the house.

I went running around Lake Scranton with Jim. I learned some good gossip from him. Chris's girlfriend is pregnant. Carrie has a top-secret government job. And I can't remember the rest but it was a run's worth.

I went to the cider mill with Kelly. We bought apples and cider. She revealed some family gossip that I never knew about and has me concerned. She also told me about a recent suicide - a kid a year ahead of me in school - actually one of the elementary school bullies. Even my dad asked, "Wasn't he the mean kid on the bus?" (My dad would struggle to name ten people I graduated with, but somehow he remembers this guy.)

I visited with my high school Latin teacher, the Kak. We talked about books, her medical problems, my life in Milwaukee, and more gossip. The ninth grade English teacher has certainly left his wife for the geometry teacher who is going through a divorce. This story was confirmed by the woman I sat next to during my flight from Detroit to Scranton. Very coincidental, but during my flight, I sat next to an old teacher from my high school. I never had her, but she knew my name. I was going to press her for details during my flight, but I knew that the Kak would tell me just as much, but without judgement.

Dinner with the family at one of the Japanese restaurants in town. I ordered the sashimi, and didn't have to share with anyone. Great.

After dinner, Kelly and I hit up the bar for her birthday. No drunken debauchery, but we did see some old friends of mine. It probably wasn't tons of fun for her, but if her friends were old enough, they were welcome to come out too.

I had better go to bed soon. Tomorrow I'm going to a quilt show with Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love moscow stories.