Tuesday, October 4

Opening Credits

I had high expectations for yesterday - but they fell through.

I acquired the high expectations on Monday morning, when I returned to my apartment after my swim. This was the first time in weeks that Jake and I were getting ready at the same time. We were both going through our morning rituals in our respective bathrooms, but I could hear his music playing. I didn't recognize it but it was upbeat and powerful. It reminded me of pop rock from the 80s. And it reminded me of the opening credits to a movie.

You know, the type of movie in which there are "normal" suburban people who suddenly have something incredible happen to them. The movie always begins with the main characters getting ready for the day, completely unaware of their fates. And the character, if he's cool, has everything go his way: he catches the toast as it pops out of the toaster, the parking spot in front of the school is open. But if he's the loser character, the little brother gets in the bathroom first and the school bus drives away as he runs to it.

On Monday morning I felt like I was the cool character. Something was going to happen. Doc was going to whisk me away in his Delorean. Ducky and I would make plans for the upcoming dance. Or maybe, my father and I would switch bodies for a day.

My expectations have not panned out. The government forms I have been working on will make a terrible movie. The auditor's request will make no impact on the future, let alone take me there. But I'm not too disappointed. The movie could have turned out to be a horror flick or even worse, an M. Night Shymalan project.

1 comment:

Tom said...

ahem, michael j fox's marty mcfly was the loser character in back to the future. he blew out his amp, was late for school, got detention, and his band didn't get picked to play the school dance. because he's a slacker. hahahahaha

you may be thinking of the end of the movie when he's got the girl, the cool truck, has already seen his past, and Doc shows up in the flying mr. fusion powered delorian to whisk he and jennifer thirty years ahead to save their kids. but be careful about time travel, because sometimes it changes claudia wells into elizabeth shue.