Thursday, October 27

Set-up for Failure

This afternoon I am home studying for my next exam, which will be here in less than 2 weeks. I am not ready. And I'm starting to prepare myself for failure. This isn't really a big deal, though. Most people fail Exam 3 on their first try. Most fail it on their second try too. The pass rate is usually about 30% so actually most people just plain fail it. This is the important exam that is based on actuarial mathematics. This is the whole reason that actuaries exist. Other exams cover calculus, statistics, regression, time series, economics, laws, interest theory, etc. But this is the crux. If one is bad at this exam, he probably won't be a good actuary.

I have never had a class on actuarial mathematics. So, while most students spend two semesters on this subject, I had to learn it on my own in 3 months. I have done a good deal, but it probably hasn't been enough.

On my side, however, is the fact that for the last exam sitting, Exam FM (sequencially before Exam M) was much easier than expected. They passed about 70%, which is unheard of in the actuarial community. Therefore, there are a good number of extra people taking my exam who probably don't realize how much they should be studying. Luckily though I have some earlier experience before FM was so easy, so I have a grasp of what is expected of me.

Despite my concerns though, I am driving to Madison tonight, to see Matt Nathanson and Kate Earl. Whoohoo. What if I get hit by a bus the day before my exam? I'd be upset if I missed this concert for an exam that I never even took.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is like everyone is seeing this concert except me. it spans across zip codes, time zones, weather patterns.

i feel like i am missing out.

Tom said...

YOU ARE TOTALLY MISSING OUT.

Donny, don't forget to mention Ben, or your good buddy Tom who bought a cd in Boston last friday to Kate Earl. and also don't forget to ask for her number for me.

your good buddy,
Tom

Anonymous said...

Donny - I think you will do great on this next exam. Now don't prove me wrong :) - Kate

Donny said...

Adina, you are missing out. We had a blast. And for some silly reason I enjoyed it more knowing that the Boston kids saw the show last week. I'll have a full update on the show when I'm home this afternoon. I'll be studying.

KT, I'm going to give the exam my best shot. Even if I fail, it'll be good preparation for when I retake it in May.