Sunday, October 16

Ranger School

One of the first things I thought about on September 11, 2001 was the Draft. I remember crossing the Mass Pike to the boathouse for my sailing class and thinking about whether we were at war. I walked with Beth and Jackie who were talking about apartment things. That discussion seemed silly at the time, but they had not watched the news that morning and I had only overheard rumors of "attacks" at the library, so I did not feel it was my job to spread possibly false information. While they talked my mind raced with all of the possabilities that "attacks" could mean and what the United States' response would be. I thought about what my response to that response would be. Would I join the military or wait for inscription? Or would I dodge it? I even had a professor at the time (chain-smoking, Green Quaker), who told us that if we (the men in her class) needed help in the future she knew ways to get out of a war.

During this time I remember often talking about the Draft to my friends. And it was funny because all of the guys had similar reactions to the attacks - we first thought about military service, but the girls hadn't given it nearly as much thought. As the days and then weeks passed, we realized that this wasn't WWIII. Dubya came out of hiding and we had a better idea of what action would be taken. It would not be such a large-scale operation as I had been thinking about. We began to return to thinking more about our individual advancements and not so much of the country's. However, Tyler continued to talk about military service. At the end of sophomore year, actually on the 4th of July, he told me that he intended to enlist after graduation. I thought it was a good idea. He gave me professional reasons for why it was a good move, but I know his decision was more for personal reasons, and I agreed with those.

Later that year, my feelings towards the military started to change. I dealt with high school friends who had enlisted. They weren't happy. The war in Iraq began. People were questioning why the US was there. And I hoped that Tyler's decision had changed.

But it didn't. And he enlisted. And he's been in training for more than a year now. And I hope that his training continues until the various campaigns are complete. Or I hope that he's stationed in Oklahoma.

Today he begins training for Army Rangers. He should be proud of his making that cut. I am and I'm also impressed. I hope he excels - I think he will - but part of me would like to see him return home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on Tyler, Donny. I think we are all thinking of him. I know I am. I did not know he was in the Rangers. I'm extremely proud and extremely scared, with a whole lot of general anger thrown in. Can you let us know if you get more updates, and an address for Tyler if you have one?

Donny said...

If we get any updates before the first 60 days that's not a good sign. Only 40% complete Ranger training - or so he says. At least he'll be done before the holidays.

I think he's in Georgia. A stamped envelope that reads, "Tyler, Georgia" should be enough to get a letter to himi.

Donny said...

Also, KT did you call Ray when you were in LA? If you did, you have to give us an update on him.

Anonymous said...

I looked at a map and he lives over an hour from where I was. Also, it would have been weird if I wasnt home when my other friend got home. Weird to explain, but it would have been. Next time?