Thursday, September 22

Defense (and a joke for Jackie)

As you know, I moved to a new apartment at the beginning of the month. This has caused a good number of problems with my internet connection - well, not really problems but inconveniences.

We had signed the lease for a year with an agreement that we'd get free internet. This "free internet" access manifested itself in a little box that we had to connect to the phone jack in the kitchen. Jake tried it out, but alas, we had no internet. Neither of us wanted to complain to the leasing office because we had bigger problems that we wanted them to focus on. For me it was my bathroom sink's leaking. For Jake it was the army of spiders that made their way through the crack between his screen and window every night. Because neither of us had the internet connection fixed, we found other means to access the web. Jake used his wireless card to steal from the neighbors, who we rationalized were receiving free cable from the office anyway so it wasn't stealing, and I used my computer at work.

I had set myself guidelines that I would not blog at work. I have no problem reading blogs and commenting from my work computer, but I will not post. Part of this reason is that I know the IT guy can tell what websites we go to, and I would rather if my blog doesn't stand out from the many that I read during a day at work. This lack of posting was in September of this year, also known as the "blog drought of '05."

Since the "drought" I have bought my own wireless access card. Though I haven't figured out how to steal from my neighbors, I don't have to anymore. My apartment complex has fixed our connection and I can post from home. However, some livejournals now consider me a spammer and I'm not allowed to leave comments on them. I'd also like to repeat that my access is through the phone jack in the kitchen, so I'm sitting on the floor while typing this. And there are spiders crawling about; they must have broken through our duct tape.

No comments: