Thursday, September 22

Mumbai, Schmumbai

Our IT guy's position has been eliminated. All the IT guys in the firm's positions have been eliminated. However, when we experience computer problems, we'll be able to contact the "help desk" in Mumbai, India and they will be happy to guide us back to computer solvency.

What are the leaders of my firm thinking? Have they ever tried these "help desks" before? "Help" is the last term I would use describe them. And where is Mumbai? Actually I looked it up and it's the new version of Bombay. (Even old New York was once New Amsterdam.) When was Bombay's name changed? I don't remember that happening.

I've recently started a log to keep track of all the times I've needed the IT guy's help. Usually I don't need him for catastrophic problems, but just small things to make my life easier. I would never feel comfortable calling the "help desk" about them. Some things on my list this week include: changing the default settings of my printer and installing new formulas in Excel. Sure I could do these things myself if I had an hour to spare and a manual, but I don't have either.

Replacing the IT support staff with foreign "help desk" will certainly not be cost effective. Every associate knows this, unfortunately the CEO and coterie do not.

No comments: