Wednesday, April 6

crashing the party

Jenn is in town for an Anthropology Convention. She thought that the reception was at 6 tonight, but she was wrong; it was at 9. That meant that after my stained glass class I was able to attend the party.

The only problem is that I am not a registered anthropologist. Luckily, though, noone was checking IDs at the door. And nobody was manning the registration table. So, when noone was looking, I swiped a name tag - Prof. Theodore Surrl of the University of Pennsylvania. If someone asked, I studied lemur femurs. However, I was never asked about my background; everyone else was talking about their own projects.

At one point in the evening, Jenn introduced me to some friends and told them I was an interloper. They made a joke about hanging out with a bunch of nerds and I replied that they were very cool next to the math guys that I relate too. They agreed. But then they took the joke a step too far. They said that math guys were worse than anthro., but not nearly as bad as stats guys. Another person agreed, stats people may have the best job opportunities but they are the most boring people to spend time with. While the rest of the group continued to go on and on...and on about how bad statistics is (and the people who study it!) Jenn looked at me and said, "This is getting very awkward." I nodded. I finished my rum and "cola" and we left.

1 comment:

Tom said...

hahaha lemur femurs. hahaha