Thursday, April 28

Pinsky

Tonight I saw Robert Pinsky at the Milwaukee Public Library. He read poetry from Robert Frost and William Carlos Williams. I enjoyed hearing him speak despite his Jersey accent. Of course when he talked about how some people of his generation consider Bob Dylan to be a poet, I knew he was talking about his colleague, Prof Ricks, who often talked about Dylan in his Shakespeare class.

I should have brought Tyrone to this poetry reading. It wasn't too long, but it was interesting and these are the types of things that I want to expose him to. Perhaps I'll take him to the next one or the reading of works of Saul Bellow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

William Carlos Williams with a jersey accent is how it SHOULD be done!

Anonymous said...

Everything should be done with a Jersey accent.

Donny said...

I went to the poetry reading with a girl from Philadelphia. When we walked out of the library the first thing she said was, "Ugh, Jersey accents. Armpit of America." And I thought, "She is marriage material."