Saturday, April 2

Denied

I have volunteered at the Downtown YMCA to be a mentor to a local high school student. This is a four-year commitment in which we're supposed to build a relationship. I'm to guide him along the road to college and to expose him to new things. A few months ago I was assigned to Tyrone, a freshman. He's a good kid. We usually go out for dinner or just hang out. I've also brought him to the state park and to a book signing by Phil Jackson. I had hoped that the program would be geared more towards the academics but it turns out that this is more like a Big Brothers program.

A few weeks ago I tricked Tyrone. I told him that I would be going to the library to study and asked if he'd like to come too. I made it clear that I would be studying for my exam but that this would be a good chance for him to do his homework away from his little sisters. Even though I talked it up I was surprised that he agreed to go with me. I say that I "tricked" him because in reality I wanted to see how well he's being taught. He's in an algebra class now and I wanted to know if he's learning anything. So, after a little bit of studying I asked him how his work was going and before you know it, I was on his side of the table showing him how to factor numbers. We spent an hour going over factoring, and I think he enjoyed it. I know I did. Man, I miss tutoring. He mentioned a couple of times how much easier his homework seemed after I went over it with him and that he'd be able to use what I had showed him.

On the drive back to his house I mentioned that I go to the library all the time, and if he'd like to come with me once a week, I'd have no problem with it. He could bring his homework from the past week and I could make sure that he understood it. I could show him more tricks like those I had already taught him. And if not on a regular basis, he could call me if he ever needs something explained to him. But, no, he turned me down. He said that he could call his sister's boyfriend - who is in college, he pointed out. Tyrone, you're killing me. In an hour I just explained something that your teacher hasn't in the past 3 weeks. I have charged $20/hour for my tutoring. I have a master's degree in mathematics. You're turning me down? Granted on credentials alone, I probably would too - but we just had a successful hour-long session. My ego is a little bloated, I know. I'm mostly dissappointed that I lost the opportunity to work with a student again.

I was reminded of this after last night. Tyrone and I went out for dinner. I was asking about classes and after trying to describe what's going on in algebra, we ended up working with numbers on the placemat. I taught him how to solve a system of equations. Sadly, I had fun doing it. I seriously have to find a tutoring program to work with.

2 comments:

Tom said...

I think every classroom in america should have a giant poster of donny smiling with a big caption that says "Learning is fun!"

and every teacher should get a book - "Donny's methods for teaching high school algebra, or, tricks of the trade, what to say so kids understand what the hell you're talking about"

and donny, once you get that written, john'll publish it for you, he's in publishing. and I'd be happy to provide you with an introduction (or, illustrations, if you've got someone else in mind for the intro) ;)

-tom

Johnny Sapphire said...

I am very proud of you Donny. I think you should keep trying to work with him, but if you have the time, I would recommend you find a tutoring program too. You obviously have a knack for it.