Wednesday, June 1

intern

Yesterday I was told that I would be doing an extra valuation this year. This is because of the recent resignations of a coworker close to my seniority. This is fine: more overtime and the ability to reach my billable hours goal. Also, the previous guy had a much higher billing rate which means that chances are that I will be under budget. Also, I was told not to do the work myself but to give as much as possible to the intern.

Today I actually began to give work to the summer intern. It felt sort of weird. This is the first time that I have someone working under me. He actually asked me if he could go home at 5:30. I said, "Of course not, get back to your cube!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend Laura from high school recently got an intern at her job too...and the intern turned out to be another girl that we graduated high school with. so Laura was the boss of her former classmate, which, clearly was weird. she says it worked out well though.

Anonymous said...

i apologize for that extra comma after "which." It definitely doesn't go there. My punctuation skills are starting to atrophy BADLY.

Tom said...

Yeah, looks like maybe those commas should surround "clearly" not "which." On the other hand, I'm the guy that has been accused, on numerous occasions, of using too many apostrophes.

-Tom

p.s. Please note, all you apostrophe-watchers, that I refrained from hitting the " ' " key until just right now. How's that for un-excessive use of apostrophes? I could've (or I'd've), if I'd really tried, kept the apostrophe out of this comment altogether, but the innocous little punctuation mark has a lot of spunk.

Tom said...

also, donny, congrats on the intern. coffee for everyone!

Anonymous said...

Dot, my 55-year old co-worker, works under me. It is sometimes weird asking her to deliver this or copy that or fixing her mistake. Luckily her name is Dot and she is the funniest and coolest 55-year old woman in the entire world. And she laughs until she cries every time.