Thursday, June 9

long day

After a day like today, I'm glad that I live alone. It's hot. Not too hot. But Milwaukee is hotter than it's been since I moved here 10 months ago. Or so it seems. But because I live alone, I can walk around without pants. Of course, some people don't wear pants even if they live in one of the largest dormitories in the US (Ray). But I only feel comfortable pantless when I live alone.

I woke up early today - 6am. I was in the pool by 6:30. I had to drive half an hour to get to a 9am meeting in Racine for work, but first I had to stop in the office to pick up the meeting's agenda. For some reason, my consultant didn't do that in her preparation for the meeting. Anyway, I was the first to use the color printer today so I had to wait for it warm up. This made me late, which made me speed, which made me frightened when the cop pulled up behind my car. But he actually wanted to pull over the BMW in front of me. (Yes, there are some foreign cars in Wisconsin.)

The highlight of our meeting today was when one of the women found out how much my company charges for its services. This woman is just about to retire herself, so she has asked us to do many things for her over the years. I am surprised that she's never seen the bills that we send her. I suppose she was mentally tallying up how many charges she's accrued over the years. She requests a lot of calculations from me. I've done 250 in the past 3 months. And at $350 a pop, the bill gets up there.

After the meeting, I stopped for a Burger King Kid's meal. I want the toys. I'm not ashamed to order a kid's meal with no kid in sight. I live in Wisconsin. They were foam cheese on their heads. I really shouldn't feel ashamed.

I arrived back at the office to find so much work to do. The days of being bored at work are long behind me.

For those of you that use Excel, I think it's interesting that today I opened a file that was too big for it. The file I wanted was 80,000 lines, and Excel can only handle 65,536. So, I did what anyone in my situation would do. I gave it to the intern to fix. Actually I came up with the solution but I made him go through the grunt work.

After work, I went out for dinner with some friends to celebrate Ann's birthday. She's now old enough to run for the House of Representatives. Sweet! We went out for African food. It's wasn't so special. It reminded me of non-spicy Indian food.

Afterwards, we went to the Comedy Club. April had a deal so that we could all get in for $1 each. I think I got $1's worth of humor out of the evening. And a good deal of that was from when Andy spilled his wine.

And now I'm back at home. I'm listening to the radio and I'm wearing just my underwear - because it is hot and I live alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've become a ray kind of person. the first thing i do when i get home is take off my pants. if dan's not home, i take off my pants and i post. if dan is home, i take off my pants and run around in front of the windows to make him upset.

i finally learned how to use excel yesterday. i made my first excel spreadsheet. of course, it had all text. the only numbers were dates and UPCC numbers.

Comedy Clubs in Philly cost ~ 15 bucks. I got in for 6 bucks.